On the afternoon of Day2 we hunted at the other kid's spot. It was dead for about 4 hours and then everything came alive.

We saw this axis doe at 147 yards. Every time she was broadside she was covered in brush, then she'd feed back into the open, facing us. Finally my son had enough and took his shot as he head was down feeding, facing right at us. The shot entered at the base of her head, broke several vertebrae, traveled the length of her neck and when we were skinning the bullet fell out from her armpit. It was a lopsided mushroom and didn't lose anything obvious.

As we made our way over to the axis we saw another doe milling around. My son really wanted another axis but passed up on several shots because he wasn't sure he could make them cleanly off the sticks. I was impressed.

Interesting thing we noticed.... The axis numbers are way, way down from a few years ago. We hunted here in 2017 and saw around 200 axis. This year we saw 2. I think the freeze we had earlier in the year really hurt them. This doe's ears had nearly frozen off, something we've seen with our neighborhood whitetails.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We drug her closer to the road, took pics and then hurried back to the blind for the last hour of hunting.

Within just a few minutes we saw three hogs moving through the brush at 85 yards and they made the mistake of pausing just as they stepped into the open. My son shot the middle hog through the shoulder and he dropped. Hog #1 took off but #3 ran in a small circle and looked back, trying to figure out what was going on. Kiddo put a shot through his heart and she made it about 15 yards before piling up. Both bullets exited.

The time stamp difference between axis doe pics and hog pics was 16 minutes.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling