Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I know "lucky" guys who are always the ones to win the guns at the charity raffles or who always get the coveted door prizes at the banquets. I can't win a thing. But in my experience the ones who succeed in the field are the ones who have put in the work (staying fit, scouting, planting food plots, etc.), and/or understand the "how's, when's and why's" of hunting that put them in the position to get "lucky".

I tend to find it very interesting these days that so many "successful" whitetail hunters are, among other things, hunting only on private land, and "scouting" has become putting up more game cameras, instead of looking for large tracks, antler rubs, etc. Oh, and of course planting "food plots."

In some states there is very little public land available for hunting, so having access to private land is the best option.

How much fun could be had with this discussion.

Quien Sabe!

BTW.......

I'm guilty of all the above except planting food plots,

and I do luv game cams.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Viewing the pix adds another dimension to "being afield'

I had the pleasure of being there 10 days in November. Only had to use my generator to cool down one night. The other nights I slept with my camper windows and screen door openl

Some game cam pix from November......

Full disclosure: I took this buck on 11/19/2021. I had seen it only on game cam during the last two seasons, at night. Most of our bucks are nocturnal and one very seldom sees a buck during "daylight". I happened to be in the right place in the right time and woke up from a nap just as he crossed in front of me.

It's not often we see elk on low fenced cattle ranches here in the Texas hill country. If I lay an eyeball on her, she will be meat in the freezer.

ya!

GWB

PS: If a critter is there, and you ain't, it don't matter how lucky or good you are, you ain't gonna make meat!

Last edited by geedubya; 11/30/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.