For skinning and gutting I usually have a knife roll with a Victorinox boner and a Victorinox skinner, together with a steel and a folding gambrel in camp, and use it for all the skinning and butchery. Steeling your knife regularly keeps the edge, without needing to remove metal, and you can do a lot of work before you need to actually whet your knife on a stone.

Out in the bush I have a knife to open and gut, and to do things like putting the foreleg through the tendon of the corresponding hind leg so as to make it easier to carry the deer out. A knife should do several before needing any work, if it is a good one. Just in case a knife should need a touch up I have for some years had a steel card, the size and thickness of a credit card, impregnated with diamond abrasive. It sits in my wallet with the actual credit cards, licences etc, taking up no appreciable room or weight. It does a good job. I don't remember the brand, but I doubt they are hard to get.

One other thing that may help you here is a knife with a Scandinavian grind. For these you can just sit the bevel of the Scandi grind flat onto the stone/sharpener to get the angle. You grind the whole of that wide bevel. I have a couple of Helles made this way, and they are definitely very easy to maintain the angle on. You could even colour the whole bevel with a Sharpie, and then use the stone to remove it evenly, to help you.

The Helle knives also come with a laminated steel blade, meaning that a very hard layer (for great edge retention) is sandwiched between softer layers (for better toughness). I remember once using one of these to gut, skin and butcher several deer in a row, without any need to touch up.