Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Specifically about using deadly force in self-defense.

It is staggering how few gun owners and carriers have read their state's self defense laws. Let me lay down a few bullet points on self defense.

1. Read your state's laws and know their specific language.

2. Know that the specific language was chosen purposefully.

3. The words feel, felt, and feelings don't appear in any state's law that I know of. The word fear appears in very few. Reasonable belief and reasonably believe appear in all of them that I have read. There's an important reason for that.

4. If you ever use deadly force in self defense it is going to suck in countless ways. You really do want to avoid it as much as you can. It can be expensive.

5. When you use deadly force, you need to know that your definition of reasonable no longer matters. Law enforcement and jurors get to decide what is reasonable from that point forward.

6. Your social media postings WILL become known. Lot's of keyboard bravado here and elsewhere on the worldwide web. If your day comes, you'll get to explain to the court how it was harmless, idle chest thumping all 207 times you did it on the net, and not an indication of your true mindset.

7. Using deadly force is not a casual undertaking.

Post up your state's self-defense laws if you wish. Louisiana's are worded somewhat oddly.

8. Who has prosecutorial jurisdiction? (In other words, do you live in a conservative/constitutional area, or a liberal schidthole that has a Soros DA? )

9. What color are you? What color is the person/persons you had to use deadly force against? Beyond that, if you are the same color, were the ones shot or dead a card carrying member of BLM or Antifa, or otherwise liberal...?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!