Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
I use the premix VP racing fuel 50 to 1. If you loose your octane rating from old gas a Stihl saw won’t start worth a crap, period! Might be worth a try before buying a new saw.

Good idea

My gas is the cheap 87 octane and its been bulk stored since May
had stabilizer in it but it was cheap gas from the get go

I should have known better.

My chainsaw shop said stabilizer doesn't work on 87 octane, it has to be 89 or 92. And I was always told by the shops on small engines to run high test with GOOD stabilizer, including 4 wheelers.

I’ve asked a few times and looked on the internet- “How long does Sta-bil last”

All I get is the estimates for the mixed product.

I wanted to know “HOW LONG DOES STA BIL ITSELF LAST” Because I have about an 8 year bottle of the red Stabil on a shelf in the shop. Wondered if it was good.

I bought some new anyway.

The internet is stupid sometimes.

I'd think the stabilizer has "indefinite" life, but once mixed mine says....1/2 oz gallon for 3-6 months, 1 oz. gallon for 1 year. But most stabilizer is cheap junk, buy the good stuff and high octane gas and your problems are over. I run a lot of small engines including quads, and never have a problem...start right up even a year later. But I do run my leaf blower & weed wacker empty/dry at the end of the year.

I use all Echo small engines, 5 year warranty.

EDIT: If I had to guess, your 87 octane and cheaper stabilizer trashed your carb.

Last edited by Bwana_1; 12/04/21.