Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Spot and stalk or still hunt. Is there any other way to actually hunt?

We are lucky I guess. Those guys in the east hunt from stands. I love to be out there still hunting, tracking and reading sign. I don't just get on a track though, sometimes you have to try to anticipate where they are going and then get there before they do. That all depends on the time of day though. Elk always watch their backtrack so you can't just get on a track and follow it... No other way for me..

Yes, you are lucky. I would have loved to have spent my deer hunting life tracking, still hunting, or stalking. However, conditions in the South don't allow it. Flat, too much underbrush, and ground covered with woody debris all combine to make silent movement, however slow, impossible. Some very local exceptions may exist, but I haven't seen them in person.

By the way, most southerners misuse the term still hunt. They really mean "stand hunt". It's been my understanding that to still hunt means to move so slowly as to appear to be still.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.