[Linked Image]

2 days remaining in the season on these critters. My GSP has been finding a few near the home place on the new farm during our evening or weekend walks. This evening on our walk to the mailbox I decided to carry my Grandfather's old Texas Ranger single shot shotgun. I think it is over 100 years old. It is the first gun I can remember ever seeing in our house and I am nearly 60. They were sold by Montgomery Wards in the early 1900s. I loaded a light field load of 7.5 shot in the old gun. On the way back to the house with a couple of packages I see my dog locked down tight on point in the woods North of my drive. I leave the packages in my gravel drive and walk up to my dog. I don't flush the bird on this point and she repositions a shot distance away and locks down again. This time the bird flushes and I make a clean kill between some oak trees on a hilside below the house. Mickie, my 6 year old GSP, retrieves the bird to hand. It has been a long time since I have killed a woodcock. It was great to watch my dog doing such nice work on this bird and felt great to take the bird with the old shotgun. I think this evenings activities qualify as the most fun with my clothes on today.

Last edited by PWN; 12/13/21.