Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Kurt52
I like the COSTCO Paradox poly and Merino blend zip neck tees and long johns. I find for the $20 Canadian price for the tops and less for the bottoms that they are 1/5 the cost of KUU merino tops and they last 5 times longer and dry 5 times faster. I back pack hunt, cross country ski, hike etc and the Paradox stuff works way better than Merino for me. The exception being that I love the COSTCO Merino wool socks and Ice Breaker Merino boxer shorts.

Yes, even best/most expensive 100% wool doesn’t dry as quickly as synthetics, plus it generally a bit more scratchy.

These days performance fabrics are not limited to high end brands, and good stuff can be found at the big box stores at a fraction of the price. I live in baselayers during the winter for work, and a lot of my work baselayers come from WalMart or STP.

Not wool, but as an added note I mostly wear silk bottoms hunting, skiing, work, etc. It’s amazing to me how such a thin base layer can be warm, and yet it is the best at regulating temperature. The only time I wear something heavier is if I’m taking a stand somewhere and not moving much, or if temps start approaching single digits.

Keeping the skin dry, by transporting the moisture to the outer layers, avoids evaporative cooling.

The MidwayUSA Level One Base Layer Shirts and Pants are 210 GSM 92% Polyester 8% Spandex, w/ SILVADUR antimicrobial technology.

Then flannel/fleece/wool, and 100% cotton rip-stop BDU's as a shell.

GR