Originally Posted by Riflecrank
hillbillyjake,
You could do no better than a .458 Winchester Magnum.
All else pales in comparison.

Yes, JES does .458 WinMag rebores and re-chambering, did one for Sir Jerry on a stainless .375 H&H M70 Classic barrel.
That is about like a No. 5 sporter contour, perfect for a .458.
Shame on Sir Larry for the .458 Lott request when he could have had a .458 WinMag.

I had a Ruger M77 "Mk I" in 7mm RemMag and it had a very slender barrel.
They might have made a heavier barreled version too ?
Barrel diameter at 24" length on the Ruger factory 7mmRM barrel is the missing info here.

Verbal reprimand noted and acknowledged.

I was curious as to those 7mm Remington magnum barrel thicknesses also. Many years ago, I had a Ruger tang safety 7mm
Remington mag, that barrel was very slender.

I presently have a 7mm Remington mag in a Ruger Hawkeye and one in a Mark II, these barrels are slender also. A different contour from the 338 Winchester and 300 Winchester. Easy to see the difference.

Frankly the 300 does not appear overly fat when you compare a .458 bullet to it. The Ruger 300 Winchester was one that I considered a re-bore to the 458 Winchester. I would have to do some measuring, Eye balling at 22” it looks pretty slim for a 458.
Eyes can deceive, measurements would confirm as to barrel thickness at desired length.
I like the contour / thickness of the 22” M70 Super Express.

I have not compared / measured but the Interarms 458 Winchester looks about right for a slim barrel to me.