Tmitch: Thanks for that.
I have been on a terror buying Colt, Smith & Wesson and High Standard pistols and revolvers of late, and indeed many pistols and revolvers I thought were priced high (much higher than in my "Blue Book") got sold out from underneath me.
Case in point - just a month ago I was dealing/drooling on a near mint condition Smith & Wesson Model 17 revolver in a local gunshop and I actually saw it sell for $250.00 more than my year old "Blue-Book" rated it at?
Another quick case in point - a nice dwarf type fellow who frequents the gunshows in NW United States (Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and taxington) had SEVERAL Winchester 94/22's for sale (all new in the box by the way).
I tried everything to get him to come down just $100.00 in his prices (which I thought were very high!). - but to no avail.
This went on for the last year and a half.
Just saw him at the Bozeman, Montana gunshow and low and behold he has sold all those N.I.B. Winchester 94/22's!
Your advice on relying to much on the Blue-Books is no doubt valid - I still use them a LOT for establishing rarity and identifying most of the offered options on guns.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy