Firefiter,

Sorry we didn't provide the answers you wanted. But when you mentioned .410, I guess everyone assumed you meant shotgun

Now a .410 as a slug gun brings up a whole different scenario. It has been my experience that a .410 as a slug shooter is far more accurate than most folks give them credit for. I believe they are certainly adequate for deer if one is patient and keeps their shots under 50 yds or so. Preferably under 65 yds at the worst case scenario. It would be suggestion that one get an H&R youth gun. (Sgl shot) I don't think they come in .410 with rifle sights, but could be fitted by a competent 'smith for a reasonable price. That would be a fairly inexpensive way to start, and then in a couple of years, he could move up to a 20 ga. when he can handle it. smile Hope this helps....

By the way; Welcome to the fire... We're mostly a bunch of pretty good guys. grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"