Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
The forearm adapter mitigates the torque effect on the stock when firing a rifle. A round forearm on a rounded bag is like a drunk trying to stand up in a canoe... grin

IMO the aluminum rest is a compromise. They were designed by F-Open (F-Class) shooters who flew to matches (especially international travel) to save weight on their checked baggage so they could bring their ammo along with them on the flight.
The Other Al.

Yep...when it comes to a front rest, the heavier the better. I think the aluminum Bald Eagle is a pretty good compromise for the majority of shooters. A good pal of mine uses one for his hunting rings and lays some steel shot bags across each leg...actually works pretty good.

The classic Hart cast iron like I have is still available. It comes with a top and pillow-style bag that works pretty decent on most guns and the price is pretty reasonable since the bag is included. I have one of those tops/bag setups also and use it in certain situations.

https://www.hartcustomrifles.com/product/competition-1-front-rifle-rest-with-bag/

The adapter really is nice on narrow fore arms like on my Mini Mark X:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner