Originally Posted by benchman
In my opinion, a couple days is too many. The powder itself may not be too corrosive, but it attracts moisture. That will start some rust. Once it starts to rust, you will eventually be screwed. I have let them go till the next morning after an evening hunt, but that's it. My oldest Hawken is around 22, and still looks great. I shot that thing a LOT! Cleaned it a lot, too. With hogs, I guess you would shoot more than a couple of times, too. I would swab every third shot.

Thank you. That's the kind of info I was looking for.

IIRC, I took it out to shoot it exactly one time for sight-in purposes and just to see how it would shoot. It was the cheapest muzzleloader Cabela's had the day I looked for one---a Traditions Canyon .50-cal, and to be honest I did not expect much at all. I put a VX-II 1-4x on it and was pleasantly surprised to see groups running around an inch. I fired it from about 8 to 15 times that day and never had a hint of an issue seating a sabot/bullet.

I did clean it that evening about ten or twelve years ago. Maybe I'll drag it out and have a look at the bore with a new borecam.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.