So Danny L said he had model 70 in a 270 Winchester, when Fotis was looking for a rifle for his son and once Fotis found a rifle. I sent Danny a PM and asking him if the stock on this Winchester had the W pressed into it and he replied back it did and he sent me pictures and I asked him how much he take for it? So here is the rest of the story….

When I was stationed at Fort Huachuca back in 2001; I went to Walmart and put a 270 like this on layaway. So back in the day Walmart had these model 70s you probably heard them referred to as the Walmart model 70s because they were plain Jane no bottom metal plastic stock with the W pressed into the stock they were chambered in seven mag 30-06, 300 win mag and the 270.

I forget how much they were maybe $299 bucks but I was a Lowly E4 with a young family and so I had to put it on layaway. So I get it out of layway put cheap Weaver rings on it, i put a Simmons eight point they were selling for $49.99 and put it all together went to the desert and shot it off the hood of my truck the trigger was atrocious, at the time I had no idea how easy it was to work on model 70 triggers.

I think i was shooting 130 grain Hornady spire points maybe 140s hornady’s it did group pretty decent from what I remember, anyhow deer season came and off I went. I can’t remember how many days I’ve been hurting might have been just open the morning, i do remember i hiked up a hill more like a mountain had a good vantage point glassing with my rifle scope, (I know only the unrefined do that) I couldn’t afford binoculars.

I didn’t see anything so I start making my way back down the hill and I kick up a deer. I shouldered my rifle look through the scope it’s a buck I shot and I hit, make my way down and put finishing shot in it. I gutted it. I got to dragging it a good distance then stopped by a road threw my flannel shirt on it. I got to my truck made my way back to the deer loaded it up and headed to check in station ie sportsman’s center we had to check the deer in and they weighed them, how many points they had and age it all that stuff. I skinned it there and all that took it home and processed it. The deer weighed like 65lbs lol. I was told it was good size deer.

Well Dove season came around and I got the fever bad I was shooting 835 multi mag. That thing was beating me up pretty bad I think this might’ve been the second year I’ve been Dove hunting so 2004. I didn’t hunt in 2003 i was in Iraq. So the following dove season i was shooting that 835 in a 12 gauge.

So i decided to trade that 270 off because I wanted a Remington 1187 and I didn’t have the money to buy one was going to use that rifle as trade material there was a gun shop in Sierra Vista that had 1187. The reason I wanted a 11-87 another guy that was dove hunting with us let me shoot hits 1187 and it was something else so I had to have one. Off i went too that gun shop with a Ruger Blackhawk and that model 70 that guy would not give me the time of day he said he can sell that shotgun faster than that rifle and pistol.

So I went down the road to another gun shop and they had a Mossberg 500, 20 gauge so I settle for that and they traded me straight across for that model 70, the safety on that Mossberg broke and I left it at my dads in Oregon when i came up here in 2008 and I haven’t seen it since. So buying this was more for nostalgia for me I guess since i shot my first course deer with a rifle identical to this one. I probably should’ve never got rid of it.. thanks to Danny for helping bring back good ol memories when I was in hell of lot better shape hunting the gray Ghost of the desert..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 79S; 01/10/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.