Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Glad it worked out for you. That correcting of an earlier poor gun selling decision hasn't always worked as well for me. Over time, I tended to ascribe mythical qualities to long departed favorite guns. Then upon replacement I found them to possess the qualities that allowed me to rationalize their sale/trade in the first place. I've stopped doing that. Like Thomas Wolfe said, "you can't go home again."

Way back in the 80's I snagged one of the first M70 XTR Fwt's in 6.5x55. One of those in that first batch made which were purportedly an over-run of an order for a Scandinavian outlet. At the time the only 6.5x55's to be found were old Swedish Mausers and the thought of a new American rifle chambered for it was overwhelming for me, a real fanboy of the cartridge. My dealer buddy moved heaven and earth and found me one, and I never cherished a rifle more than I did that one. Many deer succumbed to its vicious crack. Ten years later in a weak moment I horse traded it on something else, and the remorse immediately set in. I searched halfheartedly for 20 years for a replacement (it had to be one of those very early Fwt's) until a new Ruger #1A in 6.5x55 fell into my lap and finally chased away the demons created by that fateful M70 swap. Now I'm back at peace with myself for I dearly love this little Ruger - and I doubt I would swap it for that long gone M70 Fwt.

Edit: If anybody here now has that rifle, it's easily identified by my having installed a Lyman 48 as backup for the scope. I used a minty pre-war sight which, horrors, required wood removal to make it fit. (The inletting I did was so close that the sight looked like it grew out of the wood.) I don't want it back, but would like to know of its journey since it left my hands!

Geez gnoahhh, I can almost see the boot print in your azz for getting rid of that XTR FWT. Damn... Those particular rifles always just pop out at me when I'm at a gunshop looking through the used rifle section. Just something about them that is alluring to me...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA