Originally Posted by Brad
I have a good friend who grew up elk hunting here in MT. He started with the 7-08. In the hands of himself, his sister and a couple cousins, the 7-08 accounted for nearly 20 elk. I asked him what he currently is using - answer, "300 ultra Mag." Next I asked him if he or any of his family ever had any problem with the 7-08 on elk - answer, "no."

I looked over at his jacked-up monster truck and absorbed this reality...

I think this partially fits me. I have alot of rifles and take them all elk hunting cause I want to, not because I think most any of them will sweep elk off their feet. I like rifles and cartridges and trying different things. I have ran a 270 up to a 375 Improved. I know there hasn't been an elk I have personally killed or been in on the hunting of the 270 Winchester wouldn't have worked fine, with all of the other disclaimers about using a decent bullet and knowing the trajectory, etc. I will say in my jaded way that I like how well the 338 Win with 210 Swifts and the 7 Mashburn with 175 Bitterroots has worked on a handful of elk a piece. They didn't do backflips or nothing like that but they also didn't wander anywhere except for one I shot on the move with the Mashburn. I think his momentum carried him the 30 yards or so it took to nosedive.

So yeah, I might just have to load up my little 7-08 with the 132/140 Bitterroots I have and see if I can find a mangy old elk with it whistle

Semper Fi