Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
My union just authorized a membership poll to vote on a strike. I believe it will pass resoundingly. Never been through one and given the industry I am in (railroad) I never thought I would be? If any of you have been, I would like to hear about it.

Not trying to be an ass hole but why are you on here asking instead of talking to the union? What union represents you? Are you well versed in their constitution and bylaws?

Almost always the contract is between the international and the company, not the local and the company. So when you said "my union" who are you speaking of? If its your locals president or other such board member/board, they got backing from the international.

"This action is being driven by the employees, not the union." BS. Once again, the employees cannot do schit without the unions backing. The employees may have bitched, file a grievance, regardless its up to the union to organize a poll/vote. There are consequences(union dependent) for employees who undertake such actions on their own.....THAT is called a wildcat strike. If you arent hearing that term thrown around and youre not getting ripped out by the union.....then it was backed by the union. Period.

I am simply asking for other people's experiences, that is all. Read my original quote. When I said the action is being driven by the employees I meant that we have (systemwide) petitioned the National for permission to poll the membership to strike. This was not an order handed down from above ordering us to do same. This is not a wildcat strike, all proper procedures have been followed.

I thank those of you thus far who have answered my original question.