Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
Originally Posted by JoelL
i have been donating for over 50 years. Wednesday was my 313 donation. I am trying to reach the 40 gallon level which will be 320 pints of blood.

You also caused the recipients of your “donation” a total of $469,500 worth of medical debt on the low side for example. Don’t get me wrong, donations are important but the insurance companies make bank off your good deed while fugging the recipient…

There are a lot of costs involved in running the blood banks and testing etc. I wonder what the red cross gets for the pint you donate. Like most charitable acts these days there is always a parasitic element positioning themselves in the middle to profit off your good deeds.

It does take money to run anything but I hate organizations that are structured to make the supposed do gooders running them rich. Full time talent costs money but I think those running charitable type organizations need to be held to the highest standards and should be obligated to be as efficient as possible.

Despite all my personal hesitations with chartable organizations I know that it really comes down to the fact that people need blood and donating saves lives despite the money changing that may go on. So I just donate when I can and try not to get too far into the weeds worrying if money was made. I'm just happy to know that someone who needed blood likely got it. It's inconvenient and no fun to give blood but it gives me a ton of faith in humanity to know that people will still do it and help total strangers. It's a good thing and we need more good things these days.

Bb