Originally Posted by Rockhound
Recently threw together a new rifle. That will stay on the side by side with me. I'm looking at optics, I like the looks of some of the 1x. I would like something with quick target acquisition, but still he able to shoot small (rabbit size) targets out to 150 yds. Is that possible? I do not want open turrets. Is the vortex strike eagle 1-6 capable of 100 yard accuracy with the reticle it has? Or am I better suited with a 2-7?

Interesting question. I'm torn. I think an AR "deserves" a low power optic and I have a NIB 1.75-6X Leupold but I can see accuracy reduction with the 3-9X I currently have on it vs the 4.5-14X I used when working up loads. I like the practical application of the lower powered scope but as an accuracy guy it truly pains me to know my optics aren't up to the rifle's accuracy capability.

In your shoes, I would start with a higher powered scope and do some load workup / testing first, then see what the level of accuracy your gun has suggests about how much optics it can use.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...