As a new detective I was assigned to investigate burglaries for about 3 years. I investigated thousands of burglaries both of houses and businesses and interviewed over one hundred burglars.

Some general thoughts, however nothing is 100 percent as most burglars are doing so to support a drug habit so they aren't always rational.

-home burglars avoid basements and 2nd stories, as it is harder to flee if interrupted

-home burglars seek out the easiest houses, usually avoid houses with alarm systems or signs for them, obvious signs of dogs.

-EVERY home burglar will ring the bell or pound on the door before trying to enter, they don't want to enter a house with someone present. If someone unexpected rings my bell I wait a bit to see what they will do.

-most burglars (except kids) won't break a window and climb in.

-side service doors to a garage are favorite entrance points. If it's an attached garage, once in the garage it allows them unlimited time to work on the door to the interior of the house unobserved.

-most front door FRAMES and locks are easily defeated with a good pry bar (Wonderbars are favorites), or a monkey wrench on the lock, or just kicking the door in.

-burglars don't like entering a fenced yard usually

-most burglars aren't armed except with a screwdriver or prybar

-valuables hidden in obscure places aren't usually found. Think of a empty box of waffles filled with cash in the bottom of a filled chest freezer, no one is going to dig for that.

-cash, guns, jewelry are favored items.

-most burglars will only stay in a house a few minutes unless they have inside information that the occupant is out of town or house is a vacation house

-an active burglar will do several burglaries a day, and only stop when they get enough to buy their daily fix, or they get caught.

Burglars released on bail will go right back to thieving. Some burglars are in their 40s or 50s, and have done 1000s of burglaries in their criminal careers. Only jail or a prison stops them. Through practice they get very efficient at entering and finding valuables quickly.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington