I cant speak to CO. First thing you need to do is establish your budget. Then you’ll need to figure out what kind of hunt you’re looking for of dreaming of. Wall tent or lodge, high country or PJ country, horseback or hiking. Unless you draw a tag most hunts with a landowner tag will be from $10k to $18k for the hunt not including incidentals. You mentioned getting some rutting action. That could mean possibly having to hunt with a muzzleloader. In some units in NM private land tags can set their own dates for gun tags from Oct1 thru Dec. this can be a game changer. Rez hunts are the same although some don’t offer a late hunt. Many guys on here don’t believe in moon phases, they say hunt when you can. While I hunt no matter the moon it can definitely make or break a hunt and that can be frustrating for a new elk hunter. For my personal hunts I definitely plan around the moon. One option is to contact a consultant group like Epic outdoors or The Draw. They’ll have options and many times offer discounted cancellation hunts.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared