I was just going to post about the 92 Catalog. That's the first catalog mention I could find of the 700 KS. Not surprising because they were made in the custom shop. And doesn't necessarily mean that was the beginning of KS existence. From the catalog;
"Model 700 KS Mountain Rifle
A synthetic stock reinforced with DuPont Kevlar, makes this the lightest, toughest Model 700 rifle available. Kevlar makes the stock dimensionally stable and the dull finish makes it virtually invisible to game in open country. For 1992 the Model 700 KS is offered in a wide selection of calibers in right and left-handed versions. We've also added right-hand stainless barrelled actions, and the option of matte gray or simulated wood grain finish on stocks. Available from the Remington Custom Shop through your local Remington dealer."

What's interesting to me is that Kevlar as a stock material option is also mentioned in the 40X and the Model 700 Safari. Both also available from the Remington Custom shop. But Kevlar is also mentioned in the 700 VS (not custom shop). I do remember seeing the gray kevlar stocked 40-XC's showing up on the range. I'd only known McMillan to be producing the Kevlar stocks for Remington and conversations with McMillan at that time reinforced this. But my knowledge probably doesn't go far back enough to encompass Brown Precision's production. H-S Precision was also providing stocks to Remington during this era (the Aluminum bedding blocked rifles) and I had a Police stock, VS and VSSF pass through my hands and they were clearly H-S Produced. If I had to guess, Remington standard stocks were sourced from H-S and Custom Shop stocks came from McMillan during that early 90's era.

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/22/22.