I was going to stay silent on this one because for most shooting, I also disagree with the OP. But if you're talking highpower where recoil management and rapid fire is a factor, he does have a point. I was around during the M14 heyday and through the transition to the AR Service Rifle. Yes, the average shooter shot better scores in rapid because of the lesser recoil of the AR. But at the upper echelon, the scores didn't really increase appreciably if at all. I found it interesting that the folks at the top during the M16's ascendancy were folk that cut their teeth on the M14. Singley, Hatcher, Watson...I could go on and on. The M14 recoil forced building a rapid position right. When these lessons were applied to the M16 the result was high x cleans in rapid. So yah, recoil teaches something in rapid fire.

I can't tell you how many MK, SS and even EX shooters I've seen repositioning the Butt or their forward hand in the middle of a rapid string. The AR will let you get away with that...and they'll continue shooting their mediocre low 90's thinking they're doing good. The M14 slapped me around and drove me to build my positions that were rock solid and able to withstand 2 and 8 with that bucking bronco.

Not really applicable to the hunter firing a single shot or two in a day...but if it works for the op...

Last edited by ChrisF; 01/22/22.