I've had both. The S&W was a 1.0 and felt better ergonomically to me. The S&W safety was real "mushy" and I never felt comfortable it would stay "on". Probably fixable. I loaded some Beartooth Bullets 265gr SWCs that chronoed 921 fps and shot into about 1" rested at 25 yds (only shot four - all I had after chronographing). For whatever reason I could never get comfortable with the S&W striker ignition system.

There's some old HK liturature around that states the USP is rated for 45 Super as issued. We run the Super ammo almost exclusively. You can get 12 round mags for the HK (S&W 10 rnd only that I could find). Felt very comfortable carrying the USP with the hammer down (using decocker) and the safety engaged (first shot transition isn't a problem for me. My gun is very accurate but felt big and somewhat boxy to me. Had its twin converted to 460 Rowland by the Rowland folks. Son carries the Rowland while bow hunting elk here in MT.

Both guns weigh the same unloaded (27 oz). The HK is quite a bit more expensive as are parts.

The above is my personal experience and others might vary (probably will).

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 01/23/22.