Dear Hntrlou,

Congratulations on your purchase of a Winchester Model 71! The wonderful 71 is a modernization and upgrade of the classic Winchester Model 1886. In the mid-1930's, the final 1886's tended to be the "Extra-Light" models in .33 Winchester with shotgun butt and 22" or 24" barrels. The 71 added coil springs, better stocking, Proof Steel, and various minor, but helpful mechanical improvements. The .348 Winchester cartridge was a development by Winchester ballistic engineers of the "large case, small bore" concept of the great German ballistician, Gerlich. Except for experimental models in .45-70 and .33 Winchester, all 71's were originally .348's. The .348 case, based on the old .50-110 case, has been wildcatted many times, perhaps most notably to the well-regarded .450 Alaskan.

The first 71's were produced late in 1935, and the .348 cartridge and Model 71 combo was introduced in early 1936. So, you have essentially a "first year of production" rifle. I have a Winchester 71 made in 1940. It has the 98-A bolt peep also, but has the shorter tang. Any Winchester 71's (made from 1935 to 1957/8), in good mechanical condition, may be safely used with today's Winchester Silvertip 200-grain factory ammunition. That ammunition is well-made, and the present Silvertip used in its manufacture has a better ballistic co-efficient (BC) than did the first round-nose bullets or the early Silvertips. Winchester aand Western, as well as Remington, at various times made commercial loads in 150-grain, 200-grain, and 250-grain. There are no 150-grain loads at present from comercial sources. Winchester has the 200-grain loads as described. Buffalo Bore in Carmen, Idaho makes an excellent 250-grain factory load @2250 fps (33,000 CUP), which I have used in my 1940 vintage 71 with no problems.

My son has a Browning Model 71. (They were produced in 1987; there were 13,000 of them to add to the c. 47,000 Winchesters). The Brownings were very well made by Miroku in Japan, and they are fine rifles. My Winchester 71 is a 24" rifle; my son's Browning is a 20" "carbine" (really, a short rifle). The Model 71 has a tremendous history and mystique. It was very popular in Alaska, BC, Alberta, and the Pacific Northwest. There are many excellent articles on the 71 in "Rifle" and "Handloader" magazines, as well as a specially good one in the 1991 "Gun Digest."

Handloading extends options considerably. Hawk makes excellent bullets in .348". I recommend their 180-grainer as a devastating deer bullet. The 200-grain factory load from Winchester is excellent for deer and black bear and will certainly do for elk and moose as well, though you might prefer the 250-grainers for heavy game and the big, dangerous bears. Hornady makes a good 200-grain bullet, and Barnes makes both Originals and X-Bullets in .348". The Buffalo Bore factory load has the excellent Alaska Bullet Works Kodiak Bonderd Core bullet. Cases are available from Midway, Graf, Cheaper Than Dirt, and others.

Recoil for the 200-grain factory load is c.23-24 foot pounds. The 250-grain loads dish out punishment on both ends. The 71 is a very ergonomic rifle, however, and helps control "felt" recoil. The effectiveness of the .348 on game is also such that the recoil involved proves a very reasonable price to pay. Factory loads in our rifles produce very close to factory advertised ballistics; 2" groups at 100 yards are possible if we do our part at the holding end.

The .348 is not simply a short-range, "brush gun" cartridge. The 200-grain factory load has nearly the same trajectory as the 180-grain .300 Savage factory load. Somewhat surprisingly, the present .348 Silvertip factory load does a little better (in both energy & trajectory) than the present .358 Winchester Silvertip factory load. The limitation on the .348's use at ranges over 200 yards comes from iron sights. Your bolt peep is a good one, however, and, depending on how you see them and with practice, you can extend your range a bit. In the old days, side-mounted scopes were put on and used with hard cheeking of the stock. I personally like iron sights, and I would not drill a 1936-vintage Model 71.

Good luck with your 71, a true "big game" rifle, handy, well-made, and useful for any North American big game! Your friend's grandfather made a very wise choice in 1936, and I hope you will enjoy being the next user in a great tradition.

Best wishes!

Redcoat