Lots of the cartridges from years ago are still quite appealing, although not as popular as some of the newer offerings. I am a fan of the Newton cartridges and find several of them very satisfactory for my purposes and nostalgia reasons. Many of the new chamberings appear to have been designed to match some of the older rounds, such as those designed by Newton, J M Browning, Mauser and other "pioneers". I believe that handloading opens new doors for old cartridges, IF we are using modern steels, safe actions and the high quality barrels now available. Because some of the development of the legacy cartridges was done prior to the availability of good chronographs and slower powders, be especially cautious. Some of the loads I have found published in older manuals are dangerously hot, partly because pressure testing was by the "seat of the pants" method, or velocities were optimistically estimated and/or partly from the desire of the originator to have the "fastest and bestest" development. The Handloader articles from the last 30 or 40 years and/or the collected articles on vintage cartridge's (Ken Waters style) are generally more conservative and were tested as safe in specific guns.

The 358 Norma is a close cousin to the 35 Newton in performance, just as the 30-338 is essentially a 30 Newton with a belt. SAAMI standards are now better established with modern rounds (for chambering reamers and dies) and components are obviously more available. New brass with proper headstamps don't require trimming or fire-forming. If you decide to go with the 358 Norma, I have a set of used dies that I would sell for a reasonable price. Best wishes on your new adventure !

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.