[Linked Image]I went through this exercise a couple of years ago. Bobby was a big help but I could not afford the Polar and went for lesser S&B. Scopes are a hobby for me and I have S&B's, Swaros, Zeiss, Khales, Steiner, Night Force, Minox, IOR, etc. that I own and use. I have a little bit of knowledge about what is good for my eyes but it does not mean my experience translates to what is good for others. Everyone's eyes and perceptions are different.

My low light South Texas Bacon solution at the time was the S&B Klassik 8x56 and it is definitely the best in low light than anything else I have looked through. With moonlight over a pasture, I can hunt all night. I am going on my third year with it and I love it. The 8x56 has been the standard in Europe since the '90s for low light hunting. It was on a Ruger Scout in 450 BM and is now on a Custom Mauser in 450 BM. The scope was in QD mounts and I had a NECG rear Peep sight that would be quickly installed on the rear base for a backup or when peep sights made more sense than a scope. The QD Maxima Rings hold zero. For me and my use, the size of the scope does not bother the handling of this 16" Carbine for me in the truck (Yes, we hunt Hogs from the truck), in the brush, or out of a stand.

At $700, it is almost half of your scope budget and puts you into something that will likely impress you as long as you are hunting.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/schmidt-bender-klassik-hungaria-8x56.html

BTW, that Zeiss VX-5 you are using now is no slouch in low light and it would not be a mistake to continue using it.

Attached Images
77 450.jpg (13.52 KB, 725 downloads)
Last edited by FSJeeper; 02/02/22.