I'm not certain I have any sludge, I don't think so with the car, maintenance history and mileage but I'm getting intermittent low oil warnings on my car whenever brake hard, occasionally it just happens while driving as well.

I always check the oil and I'm never low. I have replaced the oil sending unit twice over the last 18 months or so and that doesn't fix the problem. I had an old ratty Galant with 200K miles and the low oil light would come on at idle. I ended up putting in 10W-40 and that "thicker" oil seem to solve the problem - at least with the oil light coming on. But this isn't a repeatable thing. It happens for a few days then goes away for 2 months then starts up again.

I'm thinking that maybe I have some low level sludge build up? It may very well be an electrical gremlin but short of tracing wires I've done the obvious.

If there was a "shortcut" to addressing sludge, I was thinking that maybe adding marvel mystery oil to the crankcase, running the car a bit and then flushing it with two oil changes might be a way to clean it out.

I've always changed the oil with synthetic every 3000 miles and I am at 136K miles now.

I don't know if it will help - I just want opinions on whether it will hurt anything.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/08/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings