Spotshooter:

I sure agree with the phone camera comment grabbing the low-end portion of the market. One sees thousands of phones held in the air at major events, but I haven't seen the professionals selling their Nikon body and lens so they could buy a new Samsung Galaxy S22 yet. Met a young couple 2 seasons ago with pro aspirations packing a nice spotting scope and digiscoping the world. The lady has some serious composition talents and showed up last fall with about $12K in new gear. Made a quantum leap in her image quality and I think she'll make a good living now

My start was a Nikon F purchased in about 1969. Manual everything. Still have it, but the abilities of our modern digital units are absolutely amazing now that the pixel count is approaching infinity. The gear is for sure expensive, but developing and printing are minor costs now. With probably a 100 different aspects of their performance that one can tweak though, they are extremely complex machines letting one do serious magic in studios and with stable scenes. When one's out chasing the dynamics of nature though there's not much time to tweak things if the sun's in your face one minute and seconds later we're running with the light. All the auto features are sure a benefit letting us pretty much whirl around and shoot with ease and post processing can rectify a lot of errors as well.

I'll be seriously pissed though when some dime sized phone lens comes up with the same capabilities as the softball sized objectives on today's expensive glass.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 03/11/22.

1Minute