Originally Posted by elkrazy
That is were I am at ... I have a new to me 25-06 Kimber Montana. I am going to shoot it to see where it is at, but if there is a hint it needs a new barrel off it will go and I would like get a 1:8 if it was no disadvantage in the 100grain bullets.

Now watch it shoot like crazy and not need a new barrel smile

I got this rifle when I really was looking to build a 257 Weatherby but common sense told me you get about 95% of the 257 WBY with a 25-06 (or so it seems to me)

Some of my best shooting rifles are ones I bought as donors just for the action with the intent to rebarrel. Then I made the mistake of shooting them before sending them off fir a new barrel. They used to say don't shoot the donor around here a lot so I think it's a common problem.

I have a kimber Montana 270 wsm I bought with the intent if doing a 6.5 prc or 6.5 4s on. Then took it to the range just to shoot up a few 270 wsm rounds I had. Of course the worst group it shot was about .80moa. It's still a 270 wsm even though im not a 270 fan.

I bought a stainless classic model 70 in 243 with an old bushnell 3200 3-9 a few years ago thinking I'd get it rebored to 358 win. The scope was already on it and I had a few boxes of Federal blue box 100g ammo so I Shor a few groups one day. They were all under 1 moa so that rifle is still a 243.

The rifles I buy that don't shoot well are usually the ones I want to keep as is. If I buy it for the action or with a project in mind it almost always shoots great as is.

Bb