Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I was grumbling about that to a local station owner, he got a little irked and read me the riot act. Something like, 'When I see the spot price jump up, I jack pump price to be able to buy the load coming in next week at the higher price. I don't lower pump price until the higher price product I paid for is sold and spot says the next bulk delivery will go down, it's just good business, I can't sell 4 dollar product for 3.50...I have to wait. I wish there was no fluctuation at all, but I'm not in charge'. That shut me up.

I was in the fuel business for over 25 years, and that's exactly the way it works. Fast to rise, slow to come down at the pump. If the average guy knew how thin fuel margins are, they'd think anyone in the retail fuel business is nuts.

FYI....crude oil is up over $7/bbl to $102, UL Gas up 20cts/gallon, Distillates up 37cts per gallon today on futures market. Unfortunately, not a lot of downside for fuel prices for a while.

JG, what's the deal with the price bumps for holidays where lots of people are on the road?

A wise man is frequently humbled.