Georgia and Alabama have the longest seasons and most liberal bag limits. It used to be one per day in Alabama with a 4 month season if you include archery season. I'm more familiar with GA. Archery starts here in mid October. Rifle season about a month later and ends mid January. Bag limit is 2 bucks, 10 doe. And most management areas don't count anything you kill there towards your 12 deer limit. Most management areas are simply sign-in. A handful are quota hunts and applications are usually due by Sept.1.

A lot of National Forest with free hunting in the northern 1/3 of the state. Most management areas are within that NF property. Each area is usually open for 2 or 3 periods of 3-5 days each season with the dates staggered. I hunt several of those. They are typically open on Wednesday. or Thursday and run through Saturday or Sunday. Something is open within driving distance of me pretty much every week of the season.

Some of the bigger areas such as Cohutta and Blue Ridge WMA are big enough to pack in and have a true wilderness experience. There are probably more black bear than deer in the mountains however. And wild hogs are there too. These aren't the typical feral hogs you see in Texas and Florida, but have cross bred enough to look like European boars. Farther south as you get closer to Atlanta things get a little more crowded, but I rarely see another hunter on the WMA's along the northern edges of the state.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.