I had a customer of mine when I was service writing. Brand new Peterbilt. He was the type of customer to abuse you while it was in warranty but once up - you'd never see him again. I think this was his 8th truck he bought with us.

Complained of a constant wind noise.

Multiple rides, multiple techs - including me - never got it. We could never duplicate it.

In the interest of service, I replaced 3 windshields under policy. Not warranty as there was nothing to warrantee but policy. Direct out of the dealership's pocket.

He comes in to complain again. I was fed up. Said I can't write off another windshield. Let me ride with you and we'll pin point it.

We take off down the highway.

5 minutes in, without thinking he cracks the driver's door window to smoke.

THERE! Wind noise and starts in on it and asking why we couldn't find it.

I just looked at him and said - the noise is because you crack the door window to smoke. Roll it up. (went away - as it will do) Now smoke again - cracks it and the noise is back.

I looked at him and said "I've replaced over 1200 in windshields at my expense that I didn't need to. You've yelled at my techs, the salesman and complained to Corporate. I think we're about even on this one"

He never complained again.

Me