Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by joken2

Dollar General is becoming a serious competitor to Walmart in basic daily grocery, household, personal hygiene needs, over the counter meds and even beer now, too, in both store brand and name brand products.

For example, the Dollar General Market store in a nearby town sells store brand DG milk for $2.15 a gallon, beating the local Super Walmart's store brand milk price by enough to cause many people shop there instead of Walmart. DG runs sales on at least one name brand soda -- Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc. -- three 12 packs for between anywhere from $9 to $12. Plus -- spend $25 or more (pre state sales tax) total on Saturday at DG -- $5.00 off total at check out.

I mean who in their right mind want's to deal with Walmart crowds, searching all over the store trying to find where they moved what you are looking for, unmanned checkout lanes, hunting a parking spot, when all they want is a few ordinary everyday needs or wants when they can whip into a nearby DG and be in and out with minimal hassle and back on the road in just a few minutes?

The Dollar Market in Scottsville, KY sells a gallon of milk for $1.75! They are like $4.00 here in Tennessee. Does Kentucky offer a subsidy on milk or something? No way someone isn't losing money on that deal.

No milk subsidy that I know of. Not all DG stores here in my area are pricing their milk that cheap -- just the ones competing with nearby Walmart and/or other big box grocery stores. Thinking it's what I believe is called a "loss leader" thing based on the assumption that very, very seldom do shoppers buy just the one thing they are after and then leave. Local Walmart was forced to start cutting their store brand milk price a few years ago after a Kroger owned discount grocery chain opened a new store and initially priced theirs at .99 cents a gallon.