Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[quote=ingwe]I dunno..mine says .275 Rigby on it, and the brass is head stamped likewise.That said I think the OP is right, original designation was always simply ".275"

To sound cool we shooters in America do that kind of thing a lot.Witness the .45 Long Colt.....there is no such thing.

My .275 for effect...

Tom,

One of the things I did during this discussion was get out my reproduction copy of the 1924 Magazine Sporting Rifles catalog of John Rigby & Co. Inside the cover, they list the five rifles available:

.275 bore
.275 bore H.V. [high velocity]
.275 bore Light Model
.350 bore Magnum
.416 bore Big Game

The catalog does not call any of those cartridges Rigby, but JOHN RIGBY& CO. is the top line on the cover, and printed in the largest, boldest letters. This might suggest to some people that the listed cartridges are, uh, Rigby cartridges.

Uh, it might suggest you were looking at a Rigby rifle catalogue, is all that would do. That's how they state all the rifle chamberings, as you have now discovered.

Do you think that J. Rigby&Sons didn't know that other sporting manufacturers make .275 cartridges? Even their own brand of ammo marked for their High Velocity .275 rifles was George Roth ammo repackaged.

If you can't find the "".275 Rigby"" cartridge or chambering mentioned prior to 1968 by Rigby themselves on their rifles, on their ammo, in their catalogue (or anyone elses), print advertising, in their own sales ledgers, or in the hunting literature - anywhere - or even preserved in hunting parlance in the countries it was used in, then uh, it's not a Rigby cartridge.

Enough, you all suck and I'm going hunting.

Last edited by CarlsenHighway; 04/04/22.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain