Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
My take, based on my limited knowledge of the various sciences, is that they should be at the most stable they are going to be upon leaving the muzzle (at their highest speed). I would think that any spinning projectile, moving forward, would only tend to become less stable as it decelerates. I will await someone more knowledgable than myself to see if my pseudo-educated guess is correct.

Originally Posted by mathman
The stability factor actually does increase at range. The angular velocity of the projectile decreases more slowly than the linear velocity, so the aerodynamic forces on the bullet decrease faster than the gyroscopic stabilization.

Originally Posted by Swifty52
Read up on bullet coning motion. Supposed to be its greatest at the muzzle. Settles out down range. Several good research articles on it, even Sierra admits it’s possible.

And there you have it, just that for which I was waiting. You (I) learn something new every day. Very interesting.

I didn’t read all the comments but I’m of the opinion that the bullet rotates around its center of mass going down the barrel and a slight yaw maybe induced from the chamber to engaging the rifling. After leaving the barrel I believe that it takes a little while for it to start rotating around its center of gravity and have found that bullets from good barrels and a good load that’s been worked up tend to shoot better at distance when measuring group size