Originally Posted by ChrisF
A few years back, Brian Litz wanted to study any potential rifles that grouped better at longer distances that at closer distances. He put out an offer of a expense paid trip to his incredibly equipped range to do instrumented firing on acoustic targets. Thought there were a few that claimed to have such rifles...no one stepped up to put up.

Harold Vaughn addressed the phenomenon is his book "Rifle Accuracy Facts" calling it "Poor Statistics".

The one explanation that did make sense to me was scope parallax. If your parallax is set for long distance, the sighting error induced by parallax at the closer distances could account for the bigger groups.

There are some guys here that think their rifles shoot better further out as well. I shoot a lot at the 100 yard line for a couple reasons: My club range is 100 yards and we shoot a lot of targets there during competition. We shoot 10 shot groups for score and 10 shots at close range tells us much more about our rifle, load and how well we are shooting. I also shoot a lot of longer range and almost all the time, when I have a 1/2 moa rifle at 100 yards, it is still 1/2 moa at 4,5, 600 and 1,000 yards. Something I find that has a huge impact on group size and POI is the wind. I guess If I used scopes with crappy parallax, I could see that as a huge problem, but the NF scopes I use don't have these issues. Lately I've been shooting silhouette varmint matches where the targets are as far out as 800 yards. One of the smaller targets (a rabbit) is at 600 yards, so it pays to have a rifle that shoots at least 1 moa. Sub moa is even better. The only time you are really going to see a difference in accuracy because of bullet yaw is when the bullet passes through the transonic state and in most cases, that is well beyond a 1,000 yards in most cases. You guys that are seeing some issues don't have your load and rifle dialed in. If you shoot better groups at longer range, that is either a fluke or you have a parallax issue..
6.5 creedmoor:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

22-250:
None of my rifles shoot better further out. It doesn't make any sense that they would. And to truly assess something like this, you would have to be shooting in a vacuum and no one here does that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA