Aside from the ballistic comparison, you also asked what we thought.

Two things come to my mind. (1) The 9.3X62 is so common in the US now days, that I think it is probably easier to get that brass than 35 Whelen brass. I may be wrong about that, but they’re pretty close anyway, so I would not use that to decide upon either one in my selection of cartridge. And (2), I hunt Africa pretty often, and the 9.3x62 is legal for DG in many, if not most, African countries. The 35 caliber has VERY few countries that would allow it for DG, compared to the 9.3, therefore I’d choose the 9.3x62 over the 35WAI. Plus, if ammo is lost in transit, 9.3x62 will be MUCH easier to find in Africa than 35 Whelen, let alone the 35WAI.

Having said all of that, I want to state how much I love my 35 Whelen. I own about (13) of them. I also own many 9.3x62s. I have used both calibers in Africa, but only my 35 Whelen in America for both Elk and Moose. GREAT cartridge! In Africa, with my standard 35 Whelen, I have taken Leopard, Hartebeest, Sable, Sitatunga, Bushbuck, Lechwe, Oribi, and Warthog.

If I wanted to use a 35 caliber other than my standard Whelen and needed a little extra power, I’d simply use either my 358 NM, or my 358 STA, both of which will reach farther and hit harder than a 35 WAI.

However, I also say, buy/build whatever pleases you. This is the fun part of rifle/cartridge ownership!! And no one can tell you what is right for you. If you like the idea of a 35 WAI, GO FOR IT!!