Gents - this "old" vs "new" currency is not just about settling your final bill. This includes all foreign travel wherein you want/need to exchange USD for any local currency. The exchange bureaus nor banks in any foreign country will not exchange the old style whether it be for you or your PH - period. You MAY find some black market money changer but, you'll take a beating on the rates.......or maybe just a beating and only a one way exchange.

WNR, curiosity question - what would you do or how would you handle the situation if someone you don't know or had any dealings with, came to your place, ran up a significant bill that was only 50%-75% paid for in advance and then offered you some form of paper that you could not convert to a form of money you can use?

There are lots of ways you can sort something out but, my point is why put yourself and your PH/Outfitter into a needlessly problematic situation that can be so easily avoided with just a little forethought and planning.

Again, my only point/intent of posting this was and remains - just possibly useful info to maybe help make your trip go as smoothly as possible.

Edited to add: My wife and I travel/vacation overseas a good bit. Between us, we take just one CC each and split some cash. The amount of cash depends on where we are going and for how long - could be a couple of thousand each. Why? We use the CC's for most of our purchases when we can and they are accepted. We always exchange a little US for local or take a little out of an ATM. The primary reason we take extra cash is, you just never know what happens. We've had our CC provider lock our CC while traveling due to "suspected fraudulent activity" twice and while traveling alone, it's happened to me twice. Traveling with my wife it's not a big deal but traveling alone and having to pay hotel bills etc. to get home. Only alternative was cash in my pocket.

Again, simply trying to give a heads up to make a trip go as smooth as possible.

Last edited by M3taco; 04/28/22.