Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm not sure what Ultralight weight is. Last weekend I went for 2 days with a 28lb pack including 40 oz water. I could probably get to 26-27 lbs but why? I have everything I need and am comfortable. I can also cover ground at 2-3 mph at that weight depending on slope gradient. I really don't think saving a couple extra pounds is going to make me faster or able to hike farther.

I think this is an excellent take - how light do you need to go to make 2-3mph given all the variables that hunters contend with. Myself, I say 30lbs fully kitted minus rifle gets me nearly anywhere except extreme cold (where extra layers are involved) it’s taken me 30 years to leave stuff behind that I ‘might’ need but never do. That knowledge, for me, and a Kifaru UL 3500 & a Rem 700 Ti .270 allows me to tackle almost anything at. 2-3mph.

Honestly though - under 35lbs sh*t get super personal & nobody can crack the code other than you. It’s all about trade offs for me. I know what ‘I’ need but certainly would never tell someone else what ‘they’ need.