Been hosting out of state Hunters/friends of recent and last week a friend from Arizona showed up to Hunt Ground Squirrels with "standard velocity round-nose" target ammo to try and shoot out of his Ruger heavy barrel 10/22.
I took just an hour to re-direct his misguided and somewhat inhumane goings on.
I took him to the local Murdoch's Hardware store and we perused what little 22 hollow-point ammo they had to offer.
We settled on him buying several boxes of somewhat pricey C.C.I. Velocitor hollow-point ammo that speeds the 40 grain H/P's along at 1,435 F.P.S.!
Well once back afield and resighted with this new ammunition his wounding of the Ground Squirrels ceased!
I mean this ammo was really whopping (humanely killing!) the early season adult only Gophers.
I was so impressed that I bought four boxes to try in my Ruger 10/22 Shilen barreled Gopher rig on the way home and tried them out yesterday.
I was impressed with MY results as well - I mean this ammo knocked the Ground Squirrels down and kept them there!
The cost was high in my opinion $8.99 for 50 (no sales tax in Montana) but the performance and apparent flat trajectory made me feel good/happy.
I haven't had the Velocitor ammo to my range as yet but it seemed rather accurate there afield - I had been shooting my Federal 36 grain hollow-points in my 10/22 and the additional velocity (and weight?) really was noticeable/welcome/worked great!
Rain and wind delay today.
Anyway anyone needing a VERY perky hollow-point Varmint and small game bullet then these may work well for you also.
Ooohh... and by the way - none of my visiting Varmint Hunters this year threw any of their guns in the creeks or lakes we passed by for the purpose of photographing them lying there IN those waters!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy