Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Shrapnel,
On the WACA Forum a Well known Member Chuck, claimed in a past post that a small number of Center Fire Cartridges were made on the Later Model 1866 Winchester!

The 44-40 also referred to or known as .44 Win, .44 WCF, .44 Largo, (Spanish), mainly in Conversation when the "73' comes up.

So I'm a little curious and would like to know the real answer, as the Blue Book of Gun Values , lists the 1866 as .44 rim fire, and center fire also.
They've had errant info before so I won't say this is gospel!

HS58

It is true that they made a few centerfire 1866 rifles and converted some from Rimfire to centerfire. I had one of the conversions but it wasn’t 44-40. The 44-40 case is considerably larger at the base and longer as well.

The size of the rimfire cartridge made it quite anemic and as such, was not much of a killer compared to the 44-40. The myth of the soldiers at the Custer battle being outgunned due to the Indians having Henry and 1866 rifles is just that, a myth. With a repeater at that time, it certainly had more fire power in the amount of rounds you could shoot in repetition, but there wasn’t much there when the bullet hit.

That makes sense to me. As the receiver on the 66 isn't all that big as you said earlier, which got me thinking.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!