Years ago, when I was stationed at Borden, I was a member of the Twin City Rifle Club. They had a good facility with a covered firing line and well manicured, all grass ranges.

A few years after I joined, the club decided to prevent accidental overshoots by installing aluminum garage doors that opened on the range side. That cost a lot of money. I would guess 25 doors and enough lumber to completely enclose the firing line.

You were only allowed to open the garage door directly in front of your lane, and only high enough to allow the muzzle of your rifle to pass underneath.

There were a number of problems with this. First was the line became quite dark, so lighting had to be installed (at extra expense). It also created a huge noise problem. Because the roof extended past the forward edge of the firing line, discharging any firearm caused very loud booms. In effect, shooters sat in a large echo chamber.

A number of us communicated these problems to the executive. The only thing that happened was the installation of fluorescent lights. I left that club because it was too loud.

I don’t know if they ever solved the noise problem. It would be simple to do. Just open up more doors.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]