Originally Posted by MedRiver
Originally Posted by ColtZ71
I’ve read that this cartridge is pretty capable of reaching out to 600 yards and still carrying a ton of energy.

A 225 accubond (probably one of the higher BC option in the .358" diameter) started at a 2900 is just over the 1800 FPS mark at 600 yards that Nosler publishes as their minimum. At that range it is still rocking almost 1700 foot pounds of energy, but a ways off of a "ton". The 250 Speer started at 2750 is just shy of 1800 FPS and has over 1700 FPE.

In my mind, it is pretty marginal at that distance due to being so close to the minimum impact velocity needed to initiated good expansion. Even if you squeeze more velocity out of it (some of the speeds guys are getting with PP 2000-MR) are impressive. There is just way better options out there with wider high BC bullet selections, less recoil, etc.

Now....inside 400 yards it is a beast with just about any bullet appropriate for the game you are shooting.

I was using the word “ton” as a relative term, I haven’t dove inside all the ballistics of the cartridge just a little of the surface. I’m with you, inside of 400 yards it will be detrimental to any animal per the correct bullet. Just go ahead and send all your load data over 😁