Originally Posted by kstockfo
Thanks for the info. I fished for a week in March of this year in Destin FL (gulf of Mexico), and that's the entirety of my experience, so limited at best. I fished for pompano and caught 4, also caught some hardhead catfish. I expect to go to FL for spring break in March/April for the next several years and want to continue fishing for pompano, but also hope to catch redfish, black drum, whiting, and whatever else the ocean offers.

I bought a $90 combo to start and it served me well as a newbie. I added a Penn 5000 ($70) and Penn Squadron III rod ($60) from Walmart after catching my first 2 pompano. I am hooked! Want to add at least 2 more rods because I have 2 boys that will be fishing with me, and eventually a girl when she gets out of diapers.

I fished almost exclusively set rigs with double drops, but I would like to do some topwater and some Diamond jig fishing in the future for spanish mackerel, ladyfish, and whatever else.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks,
kstockfo

Very nice.
If you want a rod for just soaking bait in the surf, the Penn Battalion or Penn Prevail 11-12ft can serve you well. The Battalion has better guides, but I haven't trouble with my Prevail. $100-120
For casting lures, popping corks and macks, I would recommend a M or MH 7ft rod.
The drags on the Fierce can be upgraded with the HT-100 carbontex drag washers and improve their function kind of to the Battle lineup level.

I have a Shimano Voltaeus which is a freshwater rod, but has handled slot reds and specks without problems. Pretty much the only inshore rod I use for lures and catching baitfish.
My kids all have entry level rods, which have been going on for several years. Wash them down with freshwater after each use. I also take the reels apart if they get dunked. My oldest now has a used Daiwa SS1300 reel bought on ebay, which is the same reel I use in my rod. I have that spooled with either 15lb or 20lb J-Braid (can't recall)
The larger rods have a Daiwa BG5000 and a Penn Battle II 6000 (approximate the same size reel despite the naming), both spooled with 30lb braid (Jbraaid and Spiderwire) and topshot of 20lb Berkely Big Game 20lb, to handle abrasion from sandbars.