Here's a story about my three bearded turkey..............it was indeed a trophy bird, weighed right at 24 pounds, three beards totaling 22 inches, and the spurs were 1 3/4 and 1 5/8. Scoring was by NWTF standards, and I won two local contests, $400 at one, and a trophy at the other. I was entered in the Uncle Lee's contest at their store in Greenville, KY, but was too busy on the farm to drive up there and have them score it. Had I done so, I would have won a Winchester 1300 Turkey shotgun.

I had always thought that a mounted turkey was cool, so I had the bird mounted. It was in a spare bedroom that I was using as an office at the time. I started noticing strands of the beard laying on the floor and thought that the beard was coming out. Anyway, to make a long story short, we had a cat in the house, and the damned thing was chewing on the beard of my turkey, and by the time I figured out what was happening, half the beard had been chewed off. I wish I'd just cut the beard and spurs off and saved them, and by doing so, I'd been $200 to the better.