Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few comments:

Swamplord claims the .300 WSM is 300 fps better than the .30-06. This defies the basic laws of internal ballistics. When loaded to the same pressures, the difference is bout half that--about what most bullets from either round will lose within the first 50 yards.

Aside from that, my wife and I have killed 100+ animals up to big-elk size in North America, Africa, Europe and New Zealand, with various .30-06s. No problems. (Would include moose-sized as well, but but neither of use have taken bull moose with the .30-06. But we have with the .270 Winchester and 7x57 Mauser, with no problems.)

Ernest Hemingway, back in the day when bullets were far more primitive, took not only Cape buffalo but a rhinoceros with the .30-06 with 220-grain "solids," also with no problems.

My friend Phil Shoemaker's sig-line here is: "Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Which has been my experience as well, after using the old round in over a dozen rifles for close to 50 years.

Yep. Same could be said for the 7X57.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~