From what you've said about the boat winch at 54" from it's bottom to the ground, it looks to me like that bear's shoulders are about ten inches below that, and its front feet are another 2-3 inches below where the post goes into the ground... If those measurements are close that makes the bear about 44 - 48 at the shoulder - that's NOT a small bear, male or female! A bear that stands 3 and 1/2 feet (42 inches)at the shoulder with all four feet on the ground is a 250 + pound bear, unless it's very skinny! I've shot enough to know a little ... and I helped a partner get out a 400 lb bear, and helped skin it, and it would be stretching matters to say it was 4 feet at the shoulders standing on all fours. Of course, a lot depends on amount of fat... the bear in the pic is carrying a lot! I'd say that's easily a 300+ lb bruin! If we keep in mind that a 300 lb WT buck only stands about 43" at the shoulder, and their legs are much longer than a black bear!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 05/11/22.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus