If you're hunting an early Sept season, you might see something that I've observed a number of times. About Labor Day, when the rut starts, a bull will collect 2 or 3 cows. The cows will decide who is the lead cow and it appears that her 1st duty is to find more cows for her bull. She'll take off on a cross country run that will go for many miles. The herds that I've seen are usually trotting with the bull dragging behind with his tongue hanging out and trying to keep up. They appear to be trying to cover as many miles as possible to find more stray cows to increase the herd size. One time I spotted a herd of about 6 or 8 cows coming straight down a very steep hill. The bull was at least 100 yds behind them. They got to the bottom and went into a patch of quakies. The bull hadn't any more than caught up with them when the lead cow took off again, straight back up the way they'd just come down. The poor bull was really sucking air. A bull only gets some action a few times a year, all in Sept, and he'll do what it takes to make the most of it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.