Originally Posted by XBOLT51
actually right here in montana even though its not otc for non reidents has excellent hunting if you can draw a tag dont let the locals fool you
the state might not have 30 inch bucks or 350 inch bulls all over but it still has decent hunting, its not all doom and gloom here like they want you to think it is , and the wolves havn't killed all the game thats another load of horse manure this state does hold some big elk and deer

I'd bet the hunters success rate is much higher there than in Oregon as well. I can see why you left that state out. One thing about elk hunting, you are always learning. You learn from every mistake each year. At least that is the way its been for me. I also hunt in an area that only has a 4% hunters success rate, but get a bull about every other year. I don't pass on an opportunity to shoot a spike either. If you want elk where I hunt, you can't be too choosy.. Like someone else said, if you pass up a raghorn, maybe another elk may not come your way for the rest of the hunt. An over the counter first season tag is only good for about 4 days (first season). The second season Rocky mountain elk general bull tag in Oregon is a little longer, like 8 days. Last year right before I tagged my bull, I was thinking to myself, "I just need to see a damn bull, the rest is the easy part". Meaning making the shot and getting him on the ground. After that, its all work.. but damn rewarding. My best advice to the OP, is always stay positive. "Elk hunting separates the men from the boys", is what my elk hunting partner always says...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA